The pneumonia caused by novel coronavirus is a newly-found disease from
which the public should strengthen prevention. In order to help foreigners
understand and master the relevant knowledge of prevention, National
Immigration Administration has compiled and translated this guide according
to the Public Prevention Notes provided by the Chinese Center for Disease
Control and Prevention.
I. Reduce outdoor activities as much as possible
1. Avoid visiting areas where the disease is prevalent.
2. It is recommended to make less visits to relatives and friends and dining
together during the epidemic prevention and control, and stay at home as
much as possible.
3. Try to avoid visits to crowded public areas, especially places of poor
ventilation, such as public bathrooms, hot springs, cinemas, internet bars,
Karaokes, shopping malls, bus/train stations, airports, ferry terminals and
exhibition centers, etc.
II. Personal Protection and Hand Hygiene
1. It is recommended that a mask shall be worn when going out. A surgical or
N95 mask shall be worn when visiting public areas, hospitals or taking
2. Keep your hands sanitized. Try to avoid touching public objects and parts
in public areas. After returning from public areas, covering your cough,
using the restroom, and before meals, please wash your hands with soap or
liquid soap under running water, or use alcoholic hand sanitizer. Avoid
touching your mouth, nose or eyes when you are unsure whether your hands are
clean or not. Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow when sneeze or
III. Health Monitoring and Seeking Medical Attention
1. Monitor the health conditions of your family members and yourself.
Measure your temperatures when you feel like having a fever. If you have
kid(s) at home, touch the kid’s forehead in the morning and at night.
Measure the kid’s temperature in case of fever.
2. Wear a mask and seek medical attention at nearby hospitals in case of
suspicious symptoms. Go to medical institution in a timely manner in case of
the suspicious symptoms relating to the pneumonia caused by novel
coronavirus are found. Such symptoms include fever, cough, pharyngalgia,
chest distress, dyspnea, mildly poor appetite, feebleness, mild lethargy,
nausea, diarrhea, headache, palpitation, conjunctivitis, mildly sore limb or
back muscles, etc. Try to avoid taking metro, bus and other public
transportation and visiting crowded areas. Tell the doctor your travel and
residence history in epidemic areas, and who you met after you got the
disease. Cooperate with your doctor on the relevant queries.
IV. Keep Good Hygiene and Health Habits
1. Frequently open the windows of your house for better ventilation.
2. Do not share towels with your family members. Keep your home and
tableware clean. Sun-cure your clothes and quilts often.
3. Do not spit. Wrap your oral and nasal secretion with tissue and throw it
in a covered dustbin.
4. Balance your nutrition and exercise moderately.
5. Do not touch, buy or eat wild animals (gamey). Try to avoid visiting
markets that sell live animals.
6. Prepare thermometer, surgical or N95 masks, domestic disinfectant and
other supplies at home.